A Brief Overview
A major requirement for admissions to Capital Transportation Academy is getting your Commercial Learner Permit (CLP). To obtain your CLP, you will go to an Ohio BMV Driver Exam location where you will be required to take a written knowledge exam. You must pass the exam sections for (1) General Knowledge, (2) Air Brakes, and (3) Combination Vehicles.
To get a CDL or Commercial Learner Permit (CLP) in the state of Ohio, a driver is required to be at least 18 years old, possess a valid Ohio driver license, and provide proof of U.S. citizenship or permanent residency in the United States.
By receiving your CLP, you can operate a commercial motor vehicle on an Ohio highway during your training while being accompanied by your Licensed CDL Instructor. A CLP is valid for six months and may be renewed once before it expires. More helpful information can be found at the State of Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles.
Preparing For Success: CLP Written Knowledge Exam
Capital Transportation Academy provides support resources so you can be successful in passing your written knowledge tests required to obtain your Commercial Learner Permit (CLP). After you receive your CLP, click here, to continue with your Admissions process at Capital Transportation Academy.
Here are some tips to help along the journey:
- Review the Ohio BMV Commercial Driver License Manual to obtain a solid base knowledge required for your written examination. You can pick a printed copy up at most Ohio BMV locations, or you can view an electronic .pdf file at http://www.publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/HSY7605.pdf
- Sections 1 thru 4 cover General Knowledge
- Section 5 covers Air Brakes
- Section 6 covers Combination Vehicles
- On your phone or computer, download the FREE app DMV Genie
- The app covers state-specific content (so choose Ohio)
- Take the practice tests that are available to you
- When you consistently score 80% or better on your practice tests, you are ready to take your written exam at an Ohio BMV location!